Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 4: First Day of Service Learning Work


Yesterday was our first day of service. Because it was raining in the morning we could not work outside. Therefore some groups were in classrooms with the kids, while others set up computers in the media room last year’s group painted. Also the first group of student got to weave baskets with the local weaver. After the rained stopped we were able to work outside. We spent the remainder of the morning weeding the garden in the courtyard and filling in a ditch where a pipe had recently been laid. After working we returned to our homes for lunch with our families. When we meet back up for the afternoon it had begun to rain again and we were not able to work. We spent the afternoon playing games Susan taught us. At 4:30 we got our cultural enrichment, we participated in a ceremony by the local Shaman. The ceremony was a sacrifice to the mountains to protect us, the “eagle” travelers. The ceremony took a few hours but we all learned a lot about their traditions that mix ancient Inca tradition and Catholicism.  After we buried the sacrifice we all returned to our homes for dinner and bed. – Lauren E. and John C.

The last four days have been incredible. Yesterday was our first work experience with the school and the children. I was assigned to computer duty in which we basically went and set up about 10 computers for the children. Although they don’t have Internet, kids still poured in to play the games that were already programmed in. Thinking I would go ahead and take a break, I headed outside where the kids were playing. I was completely wrong, the second I left the room I was attacked by about 7 kids yelling “Amigo! Amigo! Amigo!” begging me to throw them up in the air and swing them around by their arms. Within about ten minutes of throwing them around I was completely dead and could barely walk back to the computer room. The excitement on these kids’ faces is an expression I honestly have never seen before. The first day when we saw them they lined up at the door to say hello to us and every night we have a couple of kids that stick around to lead us back to our homes. For our homestay families, Mccall and I have one of the best families to stay with, even though the walk from the school to the house is 20 minutes. The first day we had an interesting meal, which we still have no idea what we ate, but we somehow managed to get it down without getting sick. Definitely missing mom’s cooking. Our homestay mother is a really nice lady; she cooks each of our meals and always lets us rest after work. We still haven’t met two of the children because they are in highschool in a different town, but there are two little girls who are 8 and 11 and I didn’t think it was possible to see someone so excited to see us. The first day we took a hike and our little sister Linda who is 8 (her birthday was yesterday) wouldn’t let go of my hand even while we were hiking up the mountain. The other girl is really nice and always wakes us up and waves when we’re in our rooms. The rooms are surprisingly nice, we have two beds on the top floor of the house that is made of wood, dirt, brick, and clay. Every morning we have to wash our hair in the freezing cold hose which gives us a nice brain freeze. Yesterday we had a tribal Shaman come and talk to us, some of the things he said were pretty interesting, like how we had 11 ounces of earth in our body and volcanoes too. He stated that we didn’t really know how to read, so when he went around and asked us if we could really read I told him I could, he laid out some leaves on a paper and told me to read it as he called me up to the front, of course I couldn’t read it, but I don’t believe he could either to be honest. The view we have of the mountains and everything is too beautiful for words, I can’t really describe it but it honestly is the best experience I’ve had in my life. To Mom and Dad, I miss you guys tons and I cant wait to see you when I get back; hope you aren’t getting too lonely. --John Clifton

It is hard to believe that yesterday was only the 4th day. We have already seen and experienced so much; each day seems like three, not in a bad way though. Rachel, Alanna, and I have the nicest family. The mom is quiet but so sweet; she still won’t let us help with cooking or cleaning, which makes me feel so bad. We have two brothers: Abel, who is 10, and Grec, who is 5. They really treat us like sisters and it is so sweet. Abel even came and got us and waited for an hour after the Shaman last night because he didn’t want us to walk home alone, even though we would have been totally fine. Our room is above the family’s room; it is very spacious and fits three beds easily. On the first floor is the family’s room and the kitchen, all doors opening to the outside. We like to think that the family dog sleeps outside our door because it wants to protect us. Really it is probably the only spot where it is dry on the floor and not getting rained on. It has been raining on and off for the past couple of days, always raining throughout the night. Our family says this is very rare, especially for this time of year. With that, they keep telling us about a flood a few years ago that flooded the valley. We try to say the same happened to us, but it often gets lost in translation. Because of the rain, Jorge and Susan said we would not be able to go on the overnight camping hike on the third of July because it will be too dangerous. Rachel and I were especially disappointed to hear this because we really have been looking forward to it. We know that WLS stresses the aspect of being “flexible,” so we will not complain. This was what we were most excited for because we love camping, but as long as we still get to go to Machu Picchu, everyone will be pleased. Even just when we hiked the Inca ruins near Ollantaytanbo it was so cool. We were sitting in ancient ruins looking at this amazing view. I am obsessed with the mountains and the landscape here; I cannot express how beautiful it all is. The Andes are so different from the Smokies; even the Rockies do not even compare because they have a very different beauty. It may just be me because I have always loved mountains, but I do think everyone feels better when they wake up and look at the mountains surrounding them. Mom, Dad, Cate and Carrie- I miss y’all so much and hope you all are having so much fun without me! You better take me back. Tell Pom Pom and Grandaddy and everyone you are with hello and I miss them. I got an Inca cross for my necklace and please try to find me a small protection charm from your trip to bring me. Thanks! I love you so much. See you soon! P.S. still getting grammar lessons in Peru from Mr. Berry.
Love, Lauren Elcan


2 comments:

Peter Clifton said...

Hi all, we love reading all about your incredible experiences. Thank you so much for writing, keep the posts coming. Hope the rain lets up and we miss you too JC!! Peter & Kristy C.

cate elcan said...

We are glad you all seem to be having fun and really "appreciating the moment." Internet must work better there than it does in the Italian hills. I was impressed by the appropriate use of the semi-colon, Lauren, and was not surprised to then read Mr. Berry gave you some help. I know many of you are disappointed about the hike but just being in the mountains with the views you have for so many days is such an amazing opportunity. Treasure your experiences there and your new and old friendships. Love to you all from the Elcan family.

Post a Comment