Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 3: La Fiesta en Ollantaytambo (by McCall Shipp & Rachel Oldham)


Yesterday the group went back into the town of Ollantaytambo where we had previously stayed. We went to celebrate a festival that honored the sun god and the day the Incans reclaimed power. The group was free to roam the small town, and climb some of the Incan ruins. We returned to the school and participated in personality tests as our last group activity of the day.

McCall: Yesterday was the best day so far for me, started off the day at 6:30 after being awoken by the 7 roosters right outside of me and johns room.  Our Peruvian mother made us breakfast and lunch before we left for our trip to Ollantaytambo.  The family we are staying with has 3 daughters, 8, 11, and 13 and one son who is turning 16 tomorrow.  We have yet to see the 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter, but the mother father and two younger girls have been unbelievably kind to us since we arrived.  Not knowing any Spanish hasn’t been a huge struggle but I have learned enough to partially communicate with people here.  The meals we have eaten have been good for the most part.  The first day here we had one of the worst meals I have ever eaten, John and I still aren’t quite sure what it was but after eating a massive bowl of it we proceeded to tell our Peruvian mother how great it was.  The dinner that night was incredible, we had rice potato and eggs. Each morning for breakfast we have a different type of tea and bread with butter and jelly.  The town we are staying in is beautiful; there are huge mountains on all sides, some snow covered, and others completely green with tons of trees. Where me and john are staying is not only the farthest house away from the town but its a 20 minute hike from the school where we were dropped off.  Our house is at the bottom of a mountain overlooking the whole town.  Right when we arrived John and I were taken on a hike by our host family up to one of the ridges on the mountain where we helped them pick carrots from a carrot farm they had.  The view from the ridge was incredible and we later climbed up too Incan ruins on another mountain in the village.  Now to my experience yesterday in ollantaytambo.  We arrived there around 10 and immediately set off with the 5 bros to the huge market where we could just about buy anything for fewer than 10 American dollars.  This town has tons and tons of shops and markets and incredible food.  I’m writing far too much so I’m just going to talk about what really has impacted me on this trip.  In the town there were Incan ruins all over the mountains sitting far above the town. At the end of the day a group of us hiked up to a group of ruins and me and matt peacock kept climbing until we reached a ruin that obviously wasn’t visited frequently because it was a very difficult hike.  Not only was the view from up there the most beautiful thing I had ever seen but I discovered that I loved hiking and climbing, so me and matt continued climbing any climbable ruin or mountain we came across, making it maybe the greatest experience of my life.  This trip has been completely life changing in so many ways and I have loved every second of it, I have far more to say but I will try to explain more next time I write on this blog. Love all yaw tell Sara n’ Sam I said hey cant wait 2 c u.



Rachel: Where to start… So far this trip has been unbelievable. It’s so unlike anything I’ve ever experienced or could ever imagine experiencing. The personalities surrounding me, whether it be my friends from school or the natives, are more than wonderful and I couldn’t ask for much more. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to connect with my family and that I’d get frustrated with my friends, but I have yet to have those feelings. We had a bit of a change in the roommates and now I have both Alanna and Lauren in my house with me. Heck yes. My family consists of Rosemary (my new mother), the father (I have no idea what his name is), Abelle (the ten year old son), and Grek (the five year old son). The two boys were thrilled when we brought out their presents. They jumped up and down and screamed for about ten minutes without pause. Their favorites were the bubbles. The house is two stories with a kitchen and the family bedroom on the bottom and our room on the top. The view from our balcony is possibly the most beautiful thing in the world. We’re in a small valley surrounded by mountains, some of which are covered in snow and others are completely green. (Mark and Sharon) You’d love this place. Yesterday was definitely the best day so far. We went back into the town (side note: the hotel we stayed in for the first night was the most gorgeous place ive ever stayed. It was two stories with a courtyard in the middle and the mountains all around.) to celebrate a festival, but really we just spent the day exploring. The market is filled with tons of little stores where you can buy just about anything. I’ve gotten little gifts for the whole family, and I’ve gotten myself a few things too. Carolyn and I ate lunch in a small pizza place and I’m pretty sure I’ve never tasted anything better. After lunch Lauren, Carol, Matt, Mccall, and I hiked up to the top of some Incan ruins where you could look down upon the valley. I took plenty of pictures, no worries. We get to go back near the end of the trip and we’re going to climb even higher. I’m so looking forward to the long hike we take on Saturday and the night we stay in the mountain. I’m guessing that will be the best part of the trip. We don’t get to river raft until later because the schedule got all changed around, but I’m sure that will be another one of my favorites. I’m being told that I need to be finishing up this blog, but it’s not my fault because Mccall spent seriously an hour on his. Anyway, I’m very very very happy and my parents will be glad to know that my house is mostly vegetarian; therefore I’m eating my fair share of meals.
 A couple of side notes:
The roosters make their call starting around 3am and at the top of every hour from then on are dead set on making our sleeping habbits hell.
It’s usually only rains in the summer here, but it’s currently down pouring and the village is in distress.
Two kids are sitting next to me right now watching me type this, but have no idea what I’m writing.
I’m catching on to the language, but its incredibly frustrating to not be able to communicate too well.
I have to go, but (to my family) I love you and I miss you and I hope you know I’m having an amazing time. I can’t wait to get home and show you all the pictures and tell all my stories. (mom and dad) Once houston and I are out of the house and you guys start planning all those insane trips you talk about, I’d highly recommend Peru.





Love to all!



3 comments:

Erica said...

Hi guys,

I'm loving your updates-- keep 'em coming! So good to hear you all are having such a wonderful experience and are bonding with your families. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you return home.

Have fun and take good care. xoxo, Ms. Barbakow

Sharon said...

Hey Rach and all! Miss you, Rach! Sounds like you're all having a great time. And yes, Rachel, Dad and I do plan to go there some day! Any good food stories yet? How about the altitude? Are you high enough for it to bother you? Keep on having fun and we look forward to hearing (and seeing) all about this awesome trip. Love, Mom & Dad

Brian said...

Mac, Just catching on to the technology so sorry you haven't heard from us. We are thrilled to see and hear that you and your group are having such an awesome time. It sounds just amazing and we cannot wait to see you and hear about the trip. Been watching weather and seems rain is to stop so hope you can get back on the mountain. All is well here and we miss seeing your smiling face. Hope you keep having fun and be safe. Write some more... we miss and love you....Mom, Dad, Sara and Sam

Post a Comment